5.02.2005

Ginger Is Good For Your Stomach

I used to work in a deli in Ann Arbor, Michigan called Zingerman's. During my lunch break I would often eat one of their Ginger Jump-Up cookies for dessert. Tasty. Long story short, late one night, when I should have been studying I did a bit of tinkering around in the kitchen to create a cookie that is almost as tasty as the real thing.

Bowl One, Combine:

2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. ginger (powder form)
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. clove
1/2 tsp. baking powder
For those that LOVE ginger, chop up some crystalized ginger and incorporate the bits into the flour/leavening/spice mixture.

Bowl Two, Combine:

3/4 cup butter, SOFTENED (I usually leave the butter out to soften a few hours before making the cookies)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg (beat it before you add it to the butter and sugar mixture)
1/3 cup molasses

Combine the ingredients of bowl one with those of bowl two.
Roll dough in to a kind of log and put it in a plastic bag.
Chill the dough for atleast one hour.
Then, take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out. You can use a floured wine bottle or something of the sort – instead of a standard rolling pin. I myself have been using a Perrier bottle.
You can use the rim of a glass as a cookie cutter if you don't have conventional ones.
Roll the cookies in sugar and bake them for 10-12 minutes, in an oven of 350º F.